[WWI] More Caudron to boot

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Fri Feb 11 14:16:09 EST 2005

I keep on boring people...
One thing that lacks your G.VI drawing, and a feature that is missed in ALL
R.11 GAs- is a lacing line along the whole side ridge. This is a feature
that
isn't too apparent but if you look closely, it is there as a faint serrated
line. In some poor quality pictures it completely dissapears. The lacing
goes vertical some point under the horizontal tail surfaces and perhaps
there is an inspection/servicing panel for the tailskid bungee. I couldn't
find a consistent practice here, but it's logical that the skid, being
internally sprung, had some type of access hatch.
I have a lot of unanswered questions:
- Most of the available drawing are some sort of derivative of an original
contemporary GA drawing, and the plan view of the R.11 fuselage is
assimetric. Is that intended or just a slip of the French curves?
- At exactly which point the engine control strut exits the fuselage (some
point between the cabanes, but WHERE?)
- The front upper fairing sometimes has a simple backwards curve, sometimes
a graceful change of curvature. Why?
- At some point of the bottom of the fuselage, the plywood "keel" becomes a
flat surface down to the tailskid. I wonder if that is made of plywod all
the lenght down or if fabric was used in this portion.
- Where are the rudder hinges located?
All in good natured fun, I know.
D.