[WWI] The FOX-TROT Nieuport??

Mikko Saarela saarela.mikko at kolumbus.fi
Thu Feb 10 05:11:04 EST 2005

Folks!

I've finished my Eduard Morane N. I'll take photos as soon as we'll get one
sunny day. Now I'm back - after almost 3 years - in a very dear subject,
Eduard Nieuports! I looked inside the box of the new Nieuport 16 edition and
started to wonder about  this Belgian Fox-Trot Nieuport again, possibly
N1407.  Last time I wondered about it, when I got the Blue Rider Sheet of
Belgian Nieuports some 3 years ago.

In the WS Datafile Special Nieuport Fighters vol. 1 there is a photo and a
colour profile of this plane. The scout has no headrest, it has a Nieuport
11 type horseshoe cowling and seems to have also a 80 hp Le Rhône 9C engine.
And still, the text claims it to be Nieuport 16. Is it a mistake, or am I
making a mistake here? Does the serial 1407 indicate it being a Nie 16? Or
is it mistakenly considered to be a Nie 16 because of the Le Prieur rockets
mounted on the v-struts. These are usually seen in Nie 16s, aren't they?

Yours Mikko