[WWI] voisin 10 LAR and LAS differences

Lance Krieg lance.krieg at amerus.com
Wed Feb 9 11:48:02 EST 2005

Chris asks:

"What are the major differences between the two versions?"

I just did some poking around on this myself, as it is a confusing
subject and is compounded by the fact that the kit is a bombing version,
while the restoration is a cannon-armed variant.  This difference is
profound in the layout of the crew area, and includes the reversal of
the pilot's and gunner's position, IIRC.

Perhaps a better source of documentation is the Voisin VIII in
Washington, which is very similar to the X except for the engine and
some tail changes, and so bears a close resemblence to the Hi-Tech kit.

The LAS/LAR/LAP/etc designations are, as far as I know, Voisin's
nomenclature as opposed to the Aviation Militaire's.  I recall the
Voisin LAS to be a Type III, a much earlier development and extant today
as a restoration in LeBourget and an unrestored nacelle in Brussels.

Anyone got more details on thes naming conventions?  I'd like to hear
them too.

Lance