[WWI] Added:Fokker D.VII OAW and more!

Chris Savaglio csavaglio at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 11:16:53 EST 2005

Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

Ed,
It's a Roden kit, so it's a bit finicky in places.  The way the nose mounts
to the fuselage is necessary to allow all the different versions, but the
fit isn't the best.  And on the early planes, there shouldn't be a panel
line where the nose meets the fuselage since its all fabric up to the metal
panels.  On the aircraft I did, the seperate nose section ends about 1/3 of
the way back into the first section of lozenge.  That area needs to be
puttied and smoothed.

The only other area to worry about is in the nose again.  The instructions
show using the engine mount/foward fuse frame even when you're mounting the
panels closed.  There's some framework molded into the sides of the panels,
so if you do it like the instructions say, the nose doesn't come close to
fitting together right.  So, if you're gonna close the nose up, don't use
the frame pieces.  If you're gonna have one side open, use the frame only on
that side.  The cabane struts will need some playing with since they have to
work with both the frame and the solid panels, but this is just trimming,
measuring, and dryfitting, nothing outside the realm of the average biplane
builder.

Oh, if you plan on doing an aircraft with full lozenge upper wings and
fuselage, pick up an aftermarket set of lozenges.  There was just enough to
do what I did without messing up any strips.  There's plenty of lower
lozenge to do it though.  I suppose if you pieced a bunch of 1/2" long
strips together you could pull it off.

Chris