[WWI] Re: Your first scratch built model

GRBroman at aol.com GRBroman at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 11:15:34 EST 2005

From: "John Marco" <john at modelartbymarco.com>
Subject: [WWI] Your first scratch built model

Ok all I have the next question;
When and what was your first scratch built model?.
My short story;

Well,
Not exactly my first scratchbuilt in it's entirety, but I did cut my teeth
converting a whole pile of the Airfix 1/76 Mark I tanks to various and sundry
versions and marks.  I think the first one was converting the Mark I into an
actually Mark I. The kit itself isn't actually a Mark I as kitted.  Next came the
supply tank and the engineer tank, then a conversion from a male to a female
(technically a transgender operation, I suppose).  Then came a Mark I to a
Mark IV.  The old Airfix magazine had a bunch of articles on converting Airfix
kits.  I also tried my hand at a scratchbuilt A7V, which was, to be honest, less
than stellar and ended upon the scrap heap when I found a Modakit vacuform
A7V.  That ended up being my first vacform, which I still have in my collection,
BTW.  But I guess first vacform is a tale for another day.  Sadly, my
collection of WWI tanks was destroyed when the Hobby and Art shop in Kirkland
Washington burned down many long years ago.
Glen