[WWI] ID help requested

Stuart L. Malone smalone at kc.rr.com
Fri Feb 4 08:11:02 EST 2005

I can't believe it!  It's the Z.F.W. D.11 3/4!  Otherwise known as the
Snardvaark.  It was designed by Icelandic engineer Guarun
Porvaldsdottir who emigrated to Bavaria in 1909 to pursue his passion
of aircraft building.  It was his only, and therefore, best design.
It's been documented that the Snardvaark never left the ground as
Z.F.W. could not find anyone to take it up for trials.  It was then
sent to the front and utilized as an airfield decoy.  This picture
shows the Snardvaark finally being hauled off the airfield after it's
usefulness had come to an end.

For more information on this aircraft, see the book "Z.F.W. Aircraft
And The Men Behind Them" by Ingibjorg Einarsson.

			Stuart L. Malone