[WWI] Looking for Windsock Datafile Albatros D V

Andy Bannister andy at warpedplastic.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 16:39:40 EST 2005

> <Mr. Bill voice>  OOOOhhhhh Nooooooo!!!!  The Dr.I Special was the one
> I've been using.
>   I know this may seem like heresy, but I have come to have *only so
> much* faith in published plans.  (Reference the list archives regarding
> my tirals and tribulations with the Nieuport 17 plans in the Datafile
> vs. the Datafile Special for Nieuport Fighters.)  No matter who is
> drawing them, they are still a two-dimensional representation of a three
> dimensional object, and therefore, IMHO, subject to error more often
> that I think some would like to admit.  Still, I do like knowing which
> plans are considered the most accurate.

I agree, plans need to be greeted with a certain amount of skepticism but
it's nice to know
which ones are considered to be the best of the bunch so you at least have a
fighting chance of some kind of accuracy.

Fear not though, if memory serves the problems with the Dr.1 plans are the
location
of that little window over the spar on the upper wing and that spurious
"seam" in the fuselage fabric which is in fact one of the frame uprights
showing through the fabric that catches oil and dirt and looks like a seam
in some photos (like that controversial Voss F1 pic!). There may be other
minor problems but those are the two that come to mind.
Andy