[WWI] A little trivia

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 06:22:22 EST 2005

Hi all

I clipped the following from the Eduard newsletter. It's not strictly OT,
but it's interesting at a time when we *still* regularly hear people
bemoaning the imminent death of the hobby. I guess the numbers in Vladimir
Sulc's statistics prove at the very least that Eduard is THE 800lb gorilla
of aftermarket...

<quote>

For a change, we'll start off with photoetching . The promised statistical
data: in 2004, we released 425 new sets. 177 of them were colored. Most of
them were in 1/35th scale, with a total of 143, 111 regular format sets and
32 Zooms. Aircraft sets in 1/48th scale totaled 85, 45 of which were color,
plus 39 painted Zooms. 1/72nd scale aircrat sets amounted to 49, 27 color,
plus 23 Zooms. 1/32nd scale: 32 sets, 11 painted, plus one color Zoom.
1/72nd scale AFVs: 20, as well as an assortment of color seatbelts in
various scales for racing cars. Ships in various scales: 8, 5 of them
painted. There were three 1/24th scale seatbelts for aircraft, and the
remainder in the number are two sets of grids in the 00 line. We sold
365,164 pieces of the photoetched sets, without the BIG ED sets

<Yikes!  1000 sets every day isn't bad....Shane>

which are not included within this count. Of the BIG EDs, we sold over 4000
units, and if they contain an average if 4 sets per package, we're looking
at some 16,000 further etch sets that left our plant. The best seller of the
year were the color seatbelts, as usual. The most popular among them was
item 49 001 USAF/USN seatbelts WWII, with 6,600 sold pieces, making it the
absolute photoetch bestseller, followed by the Luftwaffe seatbelts (49 002)
with more than 6,200 sold units. The best selling 2004 set was the 1/72nd
scale set for the German U-boot type VII (Revell).

<end quote>

So the question is not "why so few new kits?"

but

"where the hell do they find the time when they release an average of well
over one new item per DAY?"

Shane

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

        Quidvis recte factum,