[WWI] As time goes by other memories

dr-i.417.17 at cox.net dr-i.417.17 at cox.net
Tue Feb 1 09:15:57 EST 2005

First an appology for the multiple posts.  cox.net was behaving badly the other night, I guess it's clearing out all of my attempts at sending.

As to round engines. My current job was blessed by the sound of a round engine.  After working for the USAF for 11 years I came to the FAA on the flight line here in OKC.  After the interview with the engineering boss, I was walking back to my car, and parked between the two hangars was our one and only DC-3 N34.  Just as I got mid way between the hangars someone fired up N34. That wonderfull whine made by the starter followed by the ever increasing chugg-chugg chugg--chug till it starts that nice low rumble.  My only thought was man I have to work here!  Then in 2004 I get to ride on a B-17 for my birthday, and play crew chief on N34.  Still not checked out on running it though.

Biggest disappointment in aviation was driving up to St Louis for the WW-I flyin up there.  Only ONE authentic OT aiplane and that was at two seat SE-5.  Everything else was rotax powered 7/8 scale nieuport look alikes and modern biplanes pretending to be OT.

Started on the Roden Fokk D-VIIAlb last night.  Surprised to find the wings don't have alighnment pins.

MrT