[WWI] Nieuport 17 Gun mounting

Lance Krieg lance.krieg at amerus.com
Tue Aug 31 13:27:15 EDT 2004

Ed wants to:

"... add detail to the 1/32 Nieuport 17 by Academy.

"I have Marks drawings but I'm not sure about the cocking lever setup.
How did the pilot reach it because it was mounted in front of the wind
screen?"

The Hyland Type A lever, as illustrated by Mark, is a British
development that may or may not be appropriate to your subject.  In all
events, it protruded below the cowl through a slot, and was actuated
inside the cockpit.

These planes had no instrument panel, as you doubtless know, and a
decent on-line shot of the British cockpit is found at:

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/artifacts/aircraft/Nieuport17.shtml

Details of the Brussels N.23, which is a very close cousin, can also be
found online and are a good source for French-built machines:

http://users.skynet.be/fa233213/En/RealAircrafts/RealAircraft.html

HTH

Lance