[WWI] New List Member

J.R. Boye mercyandhope at juno.com
Tue Aug 31 03:37:01 EDT 2004

Rick, Shane and Eric ;
     Thanks for the nice greetings. I'm not a 1/72 chauvinist, but I love
the overview you can get when your Gotha or Handley Page sits next to,
say, an SSW D.IV and people can get a real handle on relative sizes. They
are also easy to store, and just plain cute ( for a weapon ) Also, I
don't feel compelled to include readable guages and spark plug wires.
This is important, because my aim is to have a representative collection,
and I don't have multiple lifetimes ( at least here )  I do respect
modelers of the larger scales and marvel at their accomplishments. I did
like the phrase "one true scale" however, because everything is made in
1/72, even the tanks. The new Emhar Whippet is very welcome, by the way.
          I was given a 1/32 Nieuport 17 as a gift by a well intentioned
friend, and after years of storing it, I turned it into a cutaway model,
mounted on a wall plaque. I studied the Windsock detail photos, and found
that the interior needed lots of improvement, so I drilled all the holes
in the seat, made fuselage framing and rigging, fuel tank, carburetor and
controls and guages. It made an impressive gift, but I couldn't have any
other hobbies if I had to do that each time I built a model. ( and  after
that a 1/32 Nieuport PE interior kit became available ! )

                                     J.R.