[WWI] Injection moulded vs. resin vs. whatever

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 15:52:09 EDT 2004

Edi:

> > 2. Vacuform - you get a sheet of plastic with the kit's pieces embedded
>and
> > you cut them out.
>
>Hmmm, I hate such parts -- know them from R/C model kits (cowlings, wheels
>etc.) I usually end up building my own from scratch ...

I was unclear.  Vacuform kits comprise a sheet with the main parts; e.g.
wings, tail, fuselage.  They are sometimes supplemented with resin or metal
parts for the small details such as wheels, cowl, guns etc.  In fact, I
think that vacuform can be an outstanding way to represent the thin flying
surfaces (wings and tail) predominant in WWI aeroplanes, especially in
1/72nd scale.

One thing about resin kits - the dust is poisonous so you need to wear a
mask/respirator when you sand or at least wet it down.

Michael