[WWI] Injection moulded vs. resin vs. whatever

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:59:56 EDT 2004

Edi:

There are different qualities and types of plastic models.

1. Injection molding - there's a mold and plastic is injected into it under
pressure.  But quality varies considerably, from excellent (Eduard, Tamiya),
good (Roden), to not quite as good (A-Model, Pegasus).  Models that are
produced in higher quantities can support more expensive (higher quality)
molds.  Smaller quantity production requires a compromise because they won't
cover the overhead of a high cost mold - these are called short run
injection molded kits.

2. Vacuform - you get a sheet of plastic with the kit's pieces embedded and
you cut them out. They are produced by sucking (vacuuming) air out of the
vacuform machine in which a mold is placed.  Generally, these are lower
quality kits requiring a lot more time but they can make extremely nice
models.  The kits vary in quality from excellent (Roseplane) to less than
desirable.

Resin kits are made of "resin", which is not plastic.  You need super glue
or epoxy to stick the parts together.

Michael