[WWI] Old plastic models

Eduard Werner edi.werner at gmx.de
Tue Aug 24 18:00:51 EDT 2004

Hi group,

when I last visited my parents, I came across my old plastic models (mainly
WWII and between the wars, > 200). I had built them >20 years ago.
Unfortunately, I found that the plastic was rapidly deteriorating during the
last 10 years: Propellers/struts/landing gear splinting, glue spots visible
that had not been visible before, parts coming apart, decals coming off. The
planes were kept in cardbox boxes, wrapped individually, sunlight shut off.
They are nowhere as marvellous as your models I've seen on the list (I was
merely content to build them out of the box using no more colors than my
pocket money could afford, no airbrushing or stuff), but it was sad to see
some of my best models literally falling apart). Can anything be done to
prevent this? (It's one of the things keeping me from starting again with
plastic models.)

I can see most of you are plastic modellers. However, I'm not sure whether
this is a plastic modellers' mailing list. Are there also card modellers or
R/C modellers on the list? I am asking because I got my fiddler's green WWI &
Between the Wars CD and I've just finished my first plane and I could use a
few hints (apart from my obvious faults).

Cheers

Edi