[WWI] C.R. Samson's Lighter 2F.1 Camel

Brad & Merville bigglesrfc at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 23 11:51:37 EDT 2004

   I have truly been bitten by the modelling bug and am now working on a conversion of a Revell 1/72 Camel to Samson's 2F.1.  I am using a series of photos taken on the occasion of the first lighter trails during which Samson nearly lost his life when his Camel was run over by the lighter.  These photos were all taken at quite a distance and only give a poor indication as to the arrangement of the skis.  Also, in one of the photos the upper gun appears to be fed by a vertical ammunition drum ala the Colt.  (The gun in the photo is definitly in the horizontal position so I'm not seeing the Lewis drum tilted upward)  In the other photos there is no ammo drum fitted.
   Does anyone know of a source for GAs or close-up photos for the ski equipped 2F.1?  I have the Air Britain Naval Shipboard Developments book and the 2F.1 Datafile.
   Does anyone know if any naval Camels were equipped with vertical feed ammo drums?

TIA
Brad