[WWI] Sanjeev's Wire Wheels - Again

Razonjim razonjim at centurytel.net
Tue Aug 17 02:28:12 EDT 2004

Razonjim wrote:

> Sanjeev, Lance et al,

Jim,
     There is a short description of the process in the Windsock
article.  But I have a separate write-up on the wheel build alone.
However, after discussing the subject face-to-face with Lance and
others, I realize that I have not done a good job of explaining
the process.  With Lance's editorial help, I intend to redo the write-up
for the wheel construction.  I can send it to you then, or if
you prefer, send you what I have now.
regards
Sanjeev

Oh, send it to him, by all means.  I want to see if there exists SOMEONE

who would understand the procedure without benefit of a well-lubricated
face-to-face explanation!

Lance

Well, I did used to edit technical manuals at Boeing and most engineers
can't write for s--- 'er, sour grapes but I'll be pleased to wait until
the author, Sanjeev, redoes his own stuff.  The best wire wheels I've
seen are those done by Gerald Wingrove for his large scale cars but you
need a good lathe with an indexing head for that quality and the only
power tool I (have) use is a 35 year old Dremel motor tool with a speed
control.  PE is ok for 1/72 if you need wheels the size that someone has
etched; if you need a different size you're s.o.l.  As you go up in
scale the absence of "roundness" in the spokes becomes obvious.  St.
Harry's technique looks good but Sanjeev's wheels, on his prize winner,
sure do look a lot better than Harry's best.

Jim - Waiting patiently to hear the master's pronouncement.