[WWI] Sopwith 1½ Strutter colour question

Mikko Saarela saarela.mikko at kolumbus.fi
Mon Aug 16 11:37:15 EDT 2004

Now please do not panic! It's the British planes this time...

Roden 1/48 2-seater 1½ Strutter kit has an interesting decal option for a British 70th squatron RFC plane A995. Windsock Datafile 34 has pictures of this plane on page 12. The nose and engine aluminium cowling seems to be painted, not natural aluminium like the Roden kit instructions say. What colour? Is that PC10? Or some other colour? Too light to be red? (please note that the British roundel's red spot is not completely black either in the photos!). Too bad that the upper wing shadow goes exactly there, where the colour would change, if not PC10...

I'd vote for PC10. Any other good guesses?

There's another pecualiar thing about the A995. The other upper wing 'window' seems to be covered. But is the other one - the open one - wider than usual? Or am I just seeing things?

Yours Mikko