[WWI] Weathering and other related topics

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Aug 15 19:05:36 EDT 2004

Michael!
> Grzegorz, good question about the Fokker. I did the horizontal "8" but
> labeled it as Stec's plane. For reference I used DataFile #25 and the
> Aeromaster decal sheet. The DataFile did mention the differences in
> markings, but credited both planes to Stec.

"8" was definitely Franz Peter's plane, maybe even more interesting, as
Peter was official Austro-Hungarian WWI ace who, being "real Austrian from
Vienna" decided to fight for Polish independence and then settled in Poland,
he died in Warsaw in fifties. After the Polish-Bolshevik War (today is the
anniversary of the Warsaw Battle!!!) he left the airforce and started
production of the airplane engines in Warsaw.
On the other hand, it is possible that Stec was flying that machine
sometimes, but it belonged to Peter. These Fokkers were used against
Ukrainians in 1918-19 war in Lwow (Lemberg, Lviv). My great-grandpa was
volounteer in that war, he escaped from home in Warsaw when he was 16 (in
Nov.1918), cheated recruiting commision that he is 18 and joined 19 Infantry
Regiment "Lwow's Relief". In 1919 Summer he already had two decorations for
wounds, was a 1st sergeant, left army and came back to Warsaw - to became
policeman.
Cheers!
G.