[WWI] RE: MK French Alumin(i)um

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 20:33:36 EDT 2004

I have two favourites for silver dope for RAF/FAA silver dope. Both were
originally intended for model railroad use.

One is Badger Modelflex ATSF silver, and this works well for silver
paint/dope finishes, since it's intended to represent silver paint and
not metal surfaces. Add a little gloss white (say 8-10%) to this and
you'll find it hard to beat. This is supposed to be applied with an
airbrush, but I find that Modelflex brushes beautifully if you add a
drop or two of retarder

The other is Floquil "Platinum Mist" (again let it down with some white)
I use less and less Floquil these days as my system appears to be less
tolerant to solvents than it used to be and I need all the brain cells I
can save these days.

WW1 French aluminium dope seems to be less "silvery" than the RAF
version so the 17bis will get maybe 5% white and 5%-10% of SP lettering
grey, which is a more an off white than a grey.

Aidrian
(BTW Warren, the SP colour mentioned is also useful for the imitation
aluminium bands on Southern Railway diesel locos)

---