[WWI] Nieuport Aluminum Finish

Dickinson ibs4421 at onlineky.com
Sun Aug 15 12:39:01 EDT 2004

Neil, Ed, and All,
                   This is a subject I have given considerable thought
since I am embarking on applying said finish on my Nie.17(s)  I saw a
F at irey Swordfi$h featured in FSM on which the builder employed three
different paints to achieve the effect he wanted on the doped fabric,
one of which I thought "Wow! That's it!"  I'll have to go back through
my issues now and have a look to see what it was he used.
    I acquired some MK French Aluminum which I plan to apply with an
airbrush, and am looking forward to see how it looks.  Anybody else on
the list use this paint yet?  I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.
   Here's another question to add to Ed's.  In photos of one of the
Nie.17's I plan to model, you can see a definite difference in shading
between the doped fabric that covers the turtle deck and the front
plywood section of the a/c (very light) as opposed to that of the rear
fuselage that is just stringers, formers, etc. (darker).  I have thought
to try and reproduce this by coating the lighter areas with a white
primer and the darker areas with something darker like a dark gray or
even black.  Thoughts and opinions please?  They would be appreciated.
(BTW, is it "grey" or "gray"?)

Warren
nl: Soundtrack to Gladiator
ne: scrambled eggs
nd: even more coffee since I will be sanding the wings of the Nie.17
again!