[WWI] Nieuport Aluminum Finish

NEIL EDDY se5a at iprimus.com.au
Sun Aug 15 12:15:16 EDT 2004

Hi Ed;

I think the area of aluminium doped aircraft finishes bear some examination. I think a lot of the metallic finishes that are or could be employed are often the wrong appearance to be used on aluminium doped aircraft. When you see the real thing they are closer to an aluminium/silver coloured light, mostly flat finished, grey on the doped fabric areas, than an actual metallic finish*. For an ot aircraft I used a Floquil Old Silver, which I found most reasonable in that gave a 'greyer' metallic finish. another alternative would be to mix either some white or light grey to your metallic paint (and some black maybe - which would give a silbergrau style finish) which would 'grey' out the metallic finish of the Modelmaster metallic somewhat.

HTH

All the Best

Neil E

*Based upon observations of a ot aluminium doped a/c in an original finish.