[WWI] Bezobrazov project

Eduard Werner edi.werner at gmx.de
Fri Aug 13 17:44:37 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

the planning of my Bezobrazov project for an R/C model has gotten a bit
further, but not much (too good flying weather last week, and holiday with
friends and relations the next).

>From the pictures and information Sanjeev has kindly sent me I know much more
about the plane, but there are still a few mysteries:

The 3-view and one of the color drawings show a round rudder; but some
photographs and one drawing show a shark-tail shaped rudder. I do think the
shark-tail was the original one and more in line with Bezobrazov's thoughts
-- he had to resign on the aerodynamic fuselage, but the wings are looking a
bit like a bird's wings, so a shark tail would go nicely with that.

On one small photograph we can see a round rudder (slightly different form
though), but the wing struts/booms are thicker, the fuselage looks much
longer and there seems to be an elevator. When could it have been taken? Is
it authentic at all? The picture of the crash shows neither an elevator (nor
can the rudder be seen) and the fuselage is short. So the photograph in
question can only have been taken after the rebuild, if it's genuine.

Hmmm. I have built a little glider to try out the CG and several angles of
incidence. Yep, it sure does fly. (Looks rather amazing in the air.) Pretty
well for a triplane glider. Next I've made hinges from a genuine Estonian
beer can to try out elevator, ailerons and rudder. Ailerons work ok (you want
at least two wings with ailerons), elevator and rudder are rather useless. I
had to increase the rudder to roughly double size to get it working, for the
elevator I have tried to possibilities: a) combining the original elevator
with the ailerons of the lower wing, b) adding elevators to the top wing.
Both possibilities work ok, even inverse flight (my Fokker E.III has almost
passed away over the try the other day) seems possible. From an aerodynamic
point of view, b) seems slightly better and more responsive, but a) would be
closer to the original and a bit less work and weight.

After visiting friends and relatives next week, I'll try to work out some
construction details. I have already decided on two more changes: a) I'll
increase the chord of the wings slightly and b) I want longer, protruding
booms (what do you call them properly?) for the undercarriage to protect the
motor in case of ground loops, since those are very likely on my flying-field
and I'm not going to risk a brushless motor for scale reasons. I reckon it
will still look like a Bezobrazov.

The lack of respondance to rudder and elevator make changes like the ones on
that strange photograph rather likely: a longer fuselage and an extra
elevator would address exactly these problems. Of course, respondance to the
tailplane would be less of an issue with the motor running because the
tailplane is in the slipstream, but some pilot like to survive a spitting
motor or running out of gas.

Cheers

Edi