[WWI] Weathering

pnsoares at naer.pt pnsoares at naer.pt
Fri Aug 13 04:36:21 EDT 2004

Ken was asking so I'll give it a shot:

How do I weather?

I think there are probably 3 main areas for this : engine (oils and grime),
fuse and flying surfaces, (general use *soot* exposure to elements and
light, etc,) and undersides, (soil dirt and oil). Of course it can be a
combination on any of these or all of these factors too, depending on the
particular aircrfat and area.

For engines, I use different shades of mettalic greys for drybrushing and
also washes. I find a sepia ink wash is great for thsi since it imparts an
"oily" look to the engine. Nice on a radial and even good on a in-line if
barely visible, since in-lines do not spit oil.

fuse and surfaces: I tend to use a lot of watercolour (Thanks Shane),
regular colour and graphite pencils here. I usually accentuate the ribs in a
constrasting shade of the base coat and even outline each rib with the
slightest touch of graphite. After all is done I buff it all to blen in the
pigments (carefull with graphite when you buff. It streaks, what can be good
in some places and not so good in others). If i find the result to be too
strong I overspray with diluted misty coats of base colour.

I was never lucky with pastels. Can't handle them well. But I've seen some
ground pigments, by MIG productions, that I'm willing to try.

Oil streaks and soild dirt. Again dilutet sepia ink carefully apllied and
dry brushing with earth colours.

I also accetuate all the recesses (panels, inspection doors, foot rests etc)
with pencils. You can even take a well sharpend watercolour pencil to your
tongue just to humidify the watercolur and draw a line around an inspection
panel. It all depends on the choice of colour. If you don't like the result
just grab a humid q-tip and clean it up.

Of course quality of base coat (gloss or matt) influences a lot. matt is
easy to work with but much harder to clean. Gloss is just the opposite.

One of the pleasures of the hobby for me is experimenting with different
weathering approaches and I keep trying them. But I'm still a long way from
being good at it.-

my 2 euro cents.

Pedro