[WWI] Color me Oef.

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Tue Aug 10 13:23:11 EDT 2004

Hi Ross!

> Hi all you Oef experts. I need a hand. I would like to know what color
> 153.110 D.III (Oef) flown by Otto Schrimpl was. Blue Rider say it was
> brown 6E7 and Roden in their instructions say Matt Brick Red. So which
> one of these is it? Or are both wrong?
Nobody knows. Americal instruction states 6E8... And it's probably quotation
from O'Connor, though article by O'Connor I have states 6E7 - but he bases
his statement on "single fabric sample obtained from Albatros D.III in 1918
which is solidly covered with Brown 6E7 paint" - I don't know if it isn't
Gerrard's fake sample, as O'Connor doesn't mention the origin of it. In
general O'Connor writes that samples are from Gerrard's collection, so this
time sample may be original. O'Connor's caption ti the Schrimpl's photo:
"overall dark camouflage, quite possibly Brown 6E7". I'd go with the dark
brown I like, IMO German WWII Panzer Redbrown is cool, also I like brown
from German pre-WWII three-colour splinter camouflage.
G.