[WWI] Painting Decal Paper

Steven Perry sperry11 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 09:12:24 EDT 2004

Someone mentioned using Future as an overcoat. Maybe a fairly light coat
that has been let dry at least over night. Wet it too soon and the Future
dissolves, but the longer it dries the longer the decal must soak to be
flexible enough to apply

I had or rather am having a terrible experience using Future overcoating on
decals.

I have a Roden Gotha G.Va/b. The night camo loz  decals in the kit would
have lit up the night sky if they'd that used that color in 1918.  I have
had some success overspraying garish loz decals and toning them down to an
acceptable shade. I decided to try this with the Roden night loz decals.
Tinted future was sprayed on. I should have tinted it heavier, because I
ended up with about 3 coats of tinted Future in the decal. They looked good.
Application was a nightmare. MicroSol solvent doesn't work the same on
Future as on decal film. (Clear decal film does react well to it BTW.)

Bottom line, a single coat of future will make the decal stronger, but you
have to soak it long enough to get the Future pliable as well as the decal
film. Finally, if you have to use solvent, apply it while the Future is
still pliable.

Now to figure how to get rid of a whole crop of bubbles that sprouted like
mushrooms all over the Gotha wing ;-(
sp