[WWI] Nungesser Nie.17 Questions

Mike Fletcher nieuport at rogers.com
Mon Aug 2 10:42:07 EDT 2004

One of his machines actually had that number - I guess he considered it
lucky and kept it. On a similar reasoning I think, I once had a
neighbour who had paid for a vanity licence plate that matched the
licence plate from his first car.

The stripes have a story behind them as well - he was jumped by a Brit,
and in defending himself was forced to shoot the myopic Brit down, and
to prevent a recurrance he added the stripes (I guess the roundels, and
it being a silver Nieuport weren't enough of a give-away that it wasn't
German)

Mike