[WWI] Orange Plastic

Steven Perry sperry11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 25 14:51:32 EST 2003

Near disaster last night. I was working on an ot project for my Stepfather's birthday, the Monogram Gulfhawk. I was using Ambroid Pro-Weld to join upper & lower wing panel halves and also to fix a crack at the rear of one fuselage half. These parts are molded in bright orange plastic.

That orange plastic was really affected by the solvent, but it didn't seem to want to weld, just melt and then not dry. I normally use Tennax and have never had this problem. OTOH I've never tried Tennax on orange plastic. The Ambroid seemed to work normally on the gray molded pieces.On these joins it seemed a little bit stronger than Tennax.

Anyone had any experience with either Ambroid or orange plastic that might shed some light on whether it is the glue, the plastic or the combination that is the problem.

TIA
sp