[WWI] it was 100 years ago today

wwi at wwi-models.org wwi@wwi-models.org
Thu Dec 18 10:57:01 EST 2003

--part1_132.28bf8313.2d132824_boundary

bristolf2b@hotmail.com writes:

> >One reason could be the fact that he publically stated on more than one
> >occasion that he was "inspired by the Wrights" .. or so said the show I
> >just
> >finished watching about the Wrights.
>
> Yeeerrrrs. Well they would say that then wouldn't they?

Actually, I just saw the same program which Bob mentioned.   First of all, it
was a science program produced in Canada, so they don't have an axe to grind
in this thing and would probably be equally thrilled to debunk a theory as to
support one.

Secondly, they said that Pearse himself had repeated throughout his lifetime
that his work and successes were inspired by the Wright Brothers 1903 flight,
so I take the man at his word and assume there has been some confusion over
the dates of his activities.

I am not a big fan of the Wrights.    I am a bit disillusioned to learn their
passion for flight was surpassed only by their passion to establish patent
and make profit from the event.    If they had been granted patent based upon
their first claims almost anyone who hopped, skipped or jumped would have been
in trouble with the law.  :-)

Personally, I think the birds and the bees have the first flight thing pretty
well sewn up...

Dave Z

--part1_132.28bf8313.2d132824_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  BA=
CK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMI=
LY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Trebuchet MS" LANG=3D"0"><B>bristolf2b@hotmail.com=20=
writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000"=
 BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 F=
AMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B>&gt;One reason could be th=
e fact that he publically stated on more than one<BR>
&gt;occasion that he was "inspired by the Wrights" .. or so said the show I=20=
<BR>
&gt;just<BR>
&gt;finished watching about the Wrights.<BR>
<BR>
Yeeerrrrs. Well they would say that then wouldn't they?<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Trebuchet MS" LAN=
G=3D"0"><B><BR>
Actually, I just saw the same program which Bob mentioned.&nbsp;&nbsp; First=
 of all, it was a science program produced in Canada, so they don't have an=20=
axe to grind in this thing and would probably be equally thrilled to debunk=20=
a theory as to support one.<BR>
<BR>
Secondly, they said that Pearse himself had repeated throughout his lifetime=
 that his work and successes were inspired by the Wright Brothers 1903 fligh=
t, so I take the man at his word and assume there has been some confusion ov=
er the dates of his activities.<BR>
<BR>
I am not a big fan of the Wrights.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am a bit disillusione=
d to learn their passion for flight was surpassed only by their passion to e=
stablish patent and make profit from the event.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If they ha=
d been granted patent based upon their first claims almost anyone who hopped=
, skipped or jumped would have been in trouble with the law.&nbsp; :-)<BR>
<BR>
Personally, I think the birds and the bees have the first flight thing prett=
y well sewn up...<BR>
<BR>
Dave Z<BR>
</B></FONT></HTML>
--part1_132.28bf8313.2d132824_boundary--