[WWI] Why do you always find out about colours after the model is finished.

Eric Gallaud wwi@wwi-models.org
Mon Dec 15 15:25:00 2003

The original plane or a copy is displayed in France (scale 1/1) at about
20km from me in an amusement park. I saw it but have no pictures at the
moment. If I remember well, the top fuselage is completely yellow.
I will check.

Eric

tskio4@cox.net a écrit:

 >>But take a look at the image I found on the net. I swear there are
two colours on the upper surfaces. The leading edge probably being
yellow and the rest of the upper  sufaces being
 >>doped silver.....  Darn why didn't I find this before I finished the
model. Plus for those
 >>Vossites out there. Look how dark the yellow is in the second image.
No wonder no one
 >>can say whether the imfamous cowl was yellow or green.
 >>

 >http://www.voughtaircraft.com/gallery/historic/V173_Pancake1.htm
 >

 >>http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/images/vought-sikorsky_v-173.jpg
 >>

 >Oh boy a study in tones!  Dave the colorline your seeing in the top
shot is probably just the diffece reflectivity of the metal vs fabric
colored areas.  Not the fins and stabs are silver and there is a shade
difference from them and the adjacent fabric and yet still different
from the nose sections.  Also note that your second picture is later in
the test program the round stars have been replaced with stars and bars.
  I think yellow top and wraparound with silver bottoms and flight
controls is probably safest.  You also may have chrome yellow fabric and
a deeper yellow nose.