[WWI] Bamboo for Struts

wwi@wwi-models.org wwi@wwi-models.org
Mon Dec 15 12:08:00 2003

Jim, its true about the bamboo being harder to sand, but its nearly free and usually doesn't
warp. Skewers cost aboput 99 cents for a supply that will last years. Plus it makes good
stirrers and picks and countless other tasks that lil pointy sticks can be made to do.
Another great thing about bamboo is its fairly hard and keeps its point. Therefore it is great
for ham handed people (like me) to paint cockpit canopies.

Actually its more like rought paint the canopy then  use a cut down skewer point to rub the
paint away from everywhere but the raised canopy lines. This is far faster then masking or
painting decal strips. Not sure if you use enamels though since this method relies on the
softness of acrylics.

hrmm but does anyone know about any inexpensive ways to get bass wood???  Sionce it
would be nice to be able to play around and experiment with the bass wood method.

Ray