[WWI] Off Topic but still a biplane

Bittner, Matthew E. (KTR)~U wwi@wwi-models.org
Fri Dec 12 09:01:00 2003

Just wanted to let everyone know about the off topic 1/72nd ICM Polikarpov I-5 (predecessor to the I-15 series).  This has to be the best biplane model I have seen yet.  Sure there's a little flash, but the example I have doesn't suffer from the sink-marks found on their I-16 series and the wings are practically "too scale".  Very thin trailing edges on everything.  The cockpit out of the box is fantastic and the only thing needed are seat belts.  Truly a remarkable kit!

I am hoping, though, that the Eduard SPAD XIII will prove to be even better than this.  I can't wait to see one!

BTW and FWIW, there are two versions of the ICM I-5 - "early" and "late".  The primary difference being the nose and the engine (not to mention the markings).

Watch for a complete "first look" on it in January's IM.

So, if VVS 'tweeners are your "thing", then this is the kit you must have.

Matt Bittner