[WWI] 86 years to the day since the Halifax Explosion

dave fleming wwi@wwi-models.org
Sun Dec 7 05:59:01 2003

Quoting Chris Banyai-Riepl <cbr@cbrnp.com>:

> Warning: Off Topic Post...
>
> While definitely a large explosion, a bit of clarification needs to be made.
> The Halifax explosion was the largest explosion before the nuclear age.  The
> largest non-nuclear explosion was the Texas City one in 1947, when first the
> ship "Grand Camp," loaded with tons of ammonium nitrate

Point of order! Surely 'man-made' or 'man-caused', as opposed to natural one
slike Tunguska or Krakatoa

> I think both the Halifax explosion and the Texas City explosion showed just
> what can happen when ships are filled with things that go boom....

Which is worrying when you consider the terrorist threats today (See one of
Clive Cussler's later books - Valhalla?)