[WWI] Cowlings of Bentley-Engined Camels

Shane Weier wwi@wwi-models.org
Thu Dec 4 07:53:10 2003

Kerry says:

>See _Sopwith Aircraft_ by M. Davis, pgs 82-84.  "The BR1 engine
>was almost exclusively used by naval squadrons and its greater
>diameter necessitated a wider cowling, as shown here."

Yes, the cowl seems to be bulged a little at about mid chord - that is, it
is not a straight sided cylinder.

It isn't very much though, visible on naval Camels more by the way that
shadow falls on them when illuminated from in front than any obvious
difference. I'd imagine it's only a matter of a couple of extra inches in
diameter, on a cowl that's about 40" diameter.

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

ninemsn Premium transforms your e-mail with colours, photos and animated
text. Click here  http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp