[WWI] Re: New Orleans

ernest thomas wwi@wwi-models.org
Tue Dec 2 23:57:00 2003

Shane
>I see that N'awlins has it's own dialect which substitutes "y" with "u"

And I see that I'm going to have to explain this, yet again. The only people
who say N'awlins, are the A-hole who does the fish and game report on the
local news, and a bunch of other a-hole TV people who try to imitate him
because they think we really do say that. Well, we don't. And when I'm king
of America, I'm going to write a law prohibiting from tv appearences any
person who can't even properly pronounce the name of the town they live in.
I say "New Orlins", as do lots of people here. Some people do say "Noo
Orlins", and the really stupid drunk people say "Noo Awlins."
But that's it.
However, we do have our own, distinctive style of talking. For example;

"Howz ya mama n nem?"   Translation: How is your family?

"Whea y'at", which is the gutteral of "Where are you at? which actually
means:"How's it going?" I've never understood this one because it's
something you would only say to someone you're actually looking at. So why
would you ask a person you can see, "Where are you?" I NEVER use this
expression.

"Makin groceries."  Translation: Going to the grocery store. But not just
any grocery store. You make groceries at Schwegmann's (pron; SchwAgmans).

For those who've read Confederacy of Dunces, you may remember when Ignatius
was standing under the clock in front of the D.H. Holmes department store on
Canal St.. That was a very common place to meet someone until D.H. Holmes
went out of business. However, it's pronounced "Holmses"
And Woolworth's is pronounced "Woolsworth." The Krauss department store is
"Krausses."
So if you want to 'blend in' in New Orleans, learn these phrases. Especially
"Howz ya mama n nem?" But NEVER say N'awlins.

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup