STRAP (Sandy's Tight Rigging Assured Procedure)
Return to The World War I Modeling Informational Files page.
- Assemble fuselage, lower wings, tail, undercarriage.
- Spray or brush-paint fuselage, tail, and top of bottom wing.
- Paint underside of top wing.
- Drill all holes for rigging from painted surfaces out. Position of exit
holes not too important as they will be filled. (You might decide to only
drill upper wing half-way through so there are no exit holes on top.)
- I usually have the cabane struts attached to fuselage at stage 1 - but if
not, attach them now and mount the top wing to them with CA, checking
- Cut 2-inch or so lengths of mono and put one end into pre-drilled hole on
fuselage at base of cabane strut. Apply spot of CA to hole.
- Thread other end through appropriate hole in top wing and attach a pair
of self-locking tweezers or haemostat to end. Turn plane so thread is
tensioned and protruding end lies away from wing. Apply drop of CA to upper
- Slice protruding mono flush with razor blade. If you have used a small
enough drill bit there should be virtually no need for any filler. Maybe a
tiny spot of CA, white glue or Tippex at worst.
- Repeat stages 6-8 for other cabane wires.
- Insert, glue and paint interplane struts. (innermost bay first if 2- or
- Cut lengths of mono, and pass right through upper and lower holes. (If
you only half drilled upper wing, you need to attach here first, of course).
- Apply drop of CA to top wing hole.
- Attach haemostat etc to tension thread end under lower wing. Alpply drop
of CA. Slice flush.
- Check for any flaws where threads have emerged and fill/sand if
- Mask and spray (or just brush) paint the top surface of upper wing and
the lower surface of bottom wing. Apply Decals.
- Drill and attach control horns. Paint.
- Glue one end of mono control cable to half-drilled hole where cable
emerges from wing (fuselage etc), pass over top of control horn and through
upper aileron hole. Apply CA.
- Run upper cable through hole in lower aileron and repeat stage 17 for
cable coming from bottom wing. Apply drop of CA where both cable pass
through lower aileron hole (tensioned). carefull cut the two excess ends.
- Repeat steps 16-18 as appropriate for tail control wires.
- Add blobs of thick paint (to taste) for turnbuckles.