First Digest!

Allan Wright (AEW@unh.edu)
Fri, 29 Jul 94 11:48:33 -0700

Hello Modelers,

I've compiled the first digest of posts here for distribution to
rec.models.scale. I include it here for your reference. It may be
easier to save these than each individual message that gets sent,
although I've taken some creative license in the editing of the digest.

Thanks for the posts!
Allan Wright

ENC:

World War I Modeling Mailing list Digest #001
Compiled by: Allan Wright (aew@unh.edu)
July 29th 1994

Charter:

The World War I modeling mailing list exists for the purpose of
distributing information about building models in any scale with subjects
from World War I. This includes but is not limited to: Airplanes, Tanks
and other ground vehicles, figurines. It is an unmoderated mailing list
that is maintained by Allan Wright. Opinions are those of the individual
contributors and not those of The University of New Hampshire.

Subscription Information:

unsubscribe. This is done by hand so expect delays related to weekends,
vacations and sickness of the administrator. These will be announced when
possible.

Contents:

This is the first digest of the World War I modeling mailing list. These
digests will be created by hand and posted to Rec.Models.Scale on an
irregular basis as needed. The contents of this digest have been edited to
conserve space.

This Issue:

Report from 1994 IPMS Nationals on WWI models
Assymetry on Dr.1 ailerons?
Eduard Eindeker
DML Kits
Pfaltz DV

"John P. Roll" <J-Roll@maroon.tc.umn.edu> writes:
I just returned from the 1994 IPMS Nationals in Omaha Nebraska, USA. It was a
most enjoyable experience with a whole lot of stuff of interest to persons who
have like WW1 aircraft. There was a lot of neat stuff for sale, as always, but
that is not why I am writing.

The center of the IPMS convention was of course the model contest. Overall the
number of entrants was down this year approximately 1200 this year versus 1800
last year in Atlanta. However, according to a friend of mine who judges
regularly, the caliber of the competition was much higher this year - expecially
in the area of WW1 modeling. In fact, there were so many WW1 entries this year
in the vac-form category that there was a split: WW1 and non-WW1. I have
regularly competed in vac-forms and have never seen that happen. In fact, the
number of entrants has, overall, been dropping. It seems that WW1 vac-forms are
becoming very popular!

Anyhow, here are the results of the 1/72 (sorry, I'm kinda myopic |) I only do
1/72 scale....) categories in which there were interesting WW1 type aircraft
entrants:

1/72 biplanes:

1st Siemens-Schuckert D. III by Steve Hustad
2nd Nieuport 17 (I think...)
3rd Bleriot IX
Hansa-Brandenburg W. 12 (Honorable Mention) by Steve Hustad

1/72 WW1 vac-forms

1st Aviatik B.II by Steve Hustad
2nd Lohner L
3rd AGO C. III
Interesting Entry: Siemens-Schuckert D. IV by Steve Hustad

1/72 scratch-built

1st Knoller C. II by Steve Hustad
2nd I don't recall
3rd I don't recall
Interesting Entry: Albatros J.II by Steve Hustad (you can see this model on
page 8 of Windsock Vol. 9, No. 5 Sept/O
1993)

In case, you haven't noticed, there is a heavy representation of one person -
Steve Hustad. Steve is a good friend of mine who now lives in Kansas City (I'm
from Minneapolis). He has convinced me to take the plunge - I am starting on an
Albatros D . III. I've had the interest, but not the guts - until now. Steve
is one of the best WW1 modelers I know and although he is not connected, I have
told him about this group and am certain that he would be willing to answer any
WW1 modeling questions.

BTW, Fine Scale Modeler is supposed to be doing an article on Steve's WW1
models in the issue that hits the stands in October. Check it out!

vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas) asks:
Hi folks, I just saw a post on the aircraft list about the Fokker
Dr.1's with an aileron haveing a larger surface area on one side than the
other. Is this true for all tripe's? I recall reading somewhere that the
pre-production tripe's had this, but once they were evaluated it was found
that they didn't need the larger aileron. I am curious because I've wanted
to build Voss's Dr.I. My best resource says that his bird was a pre-production
Triplane. Can anyone else verify this?

Mick Fauchon <ulmjf@dewey.newcastle.edu.au> replies:
DrIs tended to come with an assortment of aelerons, some even
with the mass balances trimmed down. In most cases your best, and only,
source of reference is photos of the particular aircraft. I'm driving
myself crazy with Richard Wenzl's DrI at the moment.

vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas) says:
For those interested I just completed the newly released Fokker EIII
from Eduard. It's quite a nice kit. I built SOB and found that it gave me
very few problems. The kit comes with a photo etched set and a cast metal
engine. The molding is good, but had a few craze marks in it. One thing
that is a must is to was the model thoroughly with soap and water as it
has a fair amount of mold release on it. Other than that I had no real
problems. Of course the last subject that I tackled was the Glenco DIII
Albatross. That was the worst kit that I've ever seen. It did have a
great decal sheet though.

Mick Fauchon <ulmjf@dewey.newcastle.edu.au> adds:

> For those interested I just completed the newly released Fokker EIII
> from Eduard. It's quite a nice kit. I built SOB and found that it gave me
> very few problems.

One side of mine was slightly warped, but it pulled out easily enough.
A review that I read mentioned bad fitting around the engine cowling, but I
haven't found that yet.

The kit comes with a photo etched set

Fine, except that the framing of the EIII was welded tube-steel,
which looks definitely peculiar in flat brass. I completely reconstructed
the framing with plastic rod, and did much the same with most of the interior
detail, including the seat, which was too wide. There's not much reference
around on Fokker interiors, but there is a reasonable one in Ray Rimell's
"Fokker fighters": if you use it, beware: some of the instumentation is
missing.

and a cast metal
> engine.

When they supply pushrod tubes, why do they mould them on the faces
of the bloody cylinders!!??

The molding is good, but had a few craze marks in it.
According to my drawings, both wings check out one span too short.
Anyone else find that?

> Albatross. That was the worst kit that I've ever seen. It did have a
> great decal sheet though.

I heartily agree. Don't touch it: it's a DOG. Even the dec. sheet
isn't worth the price of the whole kit.

Mick Fauchon <ulmjf@dewey.newcastle.edu.au> replies to a post from
"Douglas R. Jones" <djones@iex.com> about DML Kits:

> Are the DML W.W. I kits everything I think i have heard them to be.
The short answer is yes.

> At $25+ here locally they seem expensive. Are they worth it.

You think that's expensive? They're $A45+ over here.

Cheers,
Mick.

vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas) adds:
Does anyone know when the DML 1/48 Fokker DVIII will be released? I
have heard in October, but can get no confirmation on this. Also are there
any kit Mfg's out there that are making a good Pfalz DIII or Pfalz DV in
1/48th scale?

and in another post adds:
Hello Doug,
I cought your post asking if the DML kits were any good. Well I've
built three of the Dr.I's and there nice. I've just started the DVII and
it's a much better kit than the monogram. I would try to find some
documentation if you want to super detail them. Given all else, I have yet
to find any kits that compare to the DML's. They are certainly in the
competitive price range when compared to some other kits out there.
For anyone interested, Sierra models inc. is located in
Elizabethtown, Kentucky. They make a nice selection of hard to find WWI
aviation kits (mostly in 1/72nd scale). I've not built any personally,
but I've seen a number of them built up. They looked very nice. I'll
be going to E-town sometime in September. If you want I'll post a list
of the available kits.

vganna01@engr.uky.edu writes:
Also are there
any kit Mfg's out there that are making a good Pfalz DIII or Pfalz DV in
1/48th scale?

Jesse Thorn <THORN004@mc.duke.edu> replies:
I have the Blue Max Pfalz D.IIIa. This is an injection molded kit with white
metal parts and some decals (personal and national markings, no lozenge decals -
they suggest you order these from Americal Gryphon).

This kit is a lot better than the company's earlier releases (Spad VII - ugh).
The detail is nice, minimum flash, the only major fit problem is with the lower
wing roots. The fuselage pieces are rather thick - the instructions suggest
sliding the built engine up into the nose and the completed cockpit section up
through the fuselage bottom before attaching the bottom wing root piece. It is
too tight and a real pain in the butt (from what has been writyten in MMP and
the recent IPMS Journal)

>From my own research I must say that the cockpit detail is all wrong. Forget the
kit parts. Get a copy of the Windsock Datafile and check out the drawings. An
very good article on the Pfalz fighter appeared in Flight and Aeroplane Mechanic
magazine. This has excellent drawings of the cockpit arrangement.

It is pricey at $50 list. I got mine for $37 from APC Hobbies.

Tom's Modelworks makes vacuform Pfalz D.III & XII kits ion 1/48th scale.

Eduard has announced a Pfalz D.III kit. If it is as good (and relatively
inexpensive) as their Siemens Schuckert kit then I would say this is gonna be a
winner.

If I ever get around to building mine I'll post a review.

vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas) adds:
Guten Morgen Mick,
Yea, Pfalz did produce a DV it was A follow on to the DIII. It
carried a slightly different epenage and the lower wings connected to the
fuselage a bit differently. I have an older booklet at home that was
published in Brittian; it gives a good bit of info on the this bird.
I'm interested to know how you found the Fokker E III wing was 1
span short. I didn't see that at all. Of course I was comparing it to
the OLD Aroura kit that I had to suffer through a couple of years ago.
Who is going to start producing 1/32 nd scale stuff? Now this
is interesting! Bigger wings, bigger guns, bigger problems; Oh YEA!
I could get into that.

Mick Fauchon <ulmjf@dewey.newcastle.edu.au> follows up:
> Who is going to start producing 1/32 nd scale stuff? Now this
> is interesting! Bigger wings, bigger guns, bigger problems; Oh YEA!
> I could get into that.

And the answer is ...... Tom's Modelworks! The already have aat least
a Pfalz DII and DIIIa, with Albatroses, a Pfalz DXII, and some C/CLs (!) in
the pipeline. At the moment I'm waiting on the Pffalz DIIIa.

Finally, vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas) concludes:
Well Mick if you got the first red faced award, I get the second.
While trying to find the info on Jasta 18 last night I glanced through the
booklet on the Pfalz DV. It seems that this was only a designation that
was given to the Pfalz DIIIa. The Pfalz DV was to see service with the
Austrian Flicks. Only a few made it there though. The line drawings do
convey some slight variation to the standard Pfalz DIII. Can you concur
with this. The problem that I have here in the States is that there is
very little new information being published about WWI. So a lot of my
sources are older (Mid '70's to early '80's) I've only seen a couple of
things released in the last two years abotu the great war. These were
concerned mainly with the ground war. Its sad when compared to the recent
release of the JG 26 history by Donald Caldwell. It's a fantastic book, but
it's all about WWII.