[vganna01@engr.uky.edu: Loz patterns.]

Bill Shatzer (aw177@freenet.carleton.ca)
Wed, 3 Aug 1994 02:23:31 -0400

> From: vganna01@engr.uky.edu (Victor G Annas)
> To: wwi@pease1.unh.edu

> OK sports fans. I want to post this as a technical point. I've seen
> several postings lately that have said Loz patterns were printed. This is not
> exactly right. Loz patterns were *woven* into the fabric. I've seen examples
> of Loz at Wright Patterson AFB in the restoration facility. These pieces
> clearly had no printed pattern on them. I've never found any documentation
> on how the Germans made it, but there must be some information somewhere. I
> know there must be because someone is still producing it for the restorations
> that are being done. I know it is spliting hairs to point this out, but there
> is a difference. BTW; Wright Pat just completed restoration of a Neuport 17.
> It really is something to see.
> LATERS................
> Vic.

Well, all the standard references say the lozenges were printed (with the
exception of a few instances where they were hand-painted.) I'll
wager the example at Wright Patterson was printed as well. Think about
the weaving process - and figure out how you could set up a loom
to give you *solid colors* and *lozenge-shaped* patterns. True,
you can create some extremely involved designs and colors with
alternate methods like brocades and tapestries but those get a little
heavy for covering aircraft - and the whole purpose of the printed
lozenge fabric was to save weight (it eliminated the need for colored
dope.)

Trust me, the fabric was printed!

Cheers, Bill