Some info on the pathfinder accounting stuff

Patrick Messer (pfm@unh.edu)
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:36:31 -0500

Hi Allan,

I saw your mail message earlier to walter about the pf accounts.

Here are some excerpts from mail messages between me and Walter that may
be helpful to you in making any further changes:

Some of these you may have already seen, the last message may be of particular
interest:

>From pfm@icarus.unh.edu Fri Feb 3 11:31 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 11:31:38 -0500
From: pfm@unh.edu (Patrick Messer)
To: whc@madeira.unh.edu
Subject: pathfinder login accounts
Cc: pf-admin@icarus.unh.edu

Hi Walter,

I felt that it was about time I clean up the login accounts for your group.
I've made several changes, so let me know as soon as something doesn't work
right. I think things are much better organized now.

The DS project is divided into 2 groups: full time employees and students. In
general each system provides access to one or both groups. In certain cases
we can add individuals access to particular hosts (see mike5 below).

I have changed evan to evan5 and dalves5 to dalves to be consistent. I realize
dalves account is still active for historical purposes only. You may need to
let evan know that his ID is now "evan5" (everything else is the same).
The two groups are:

ds_users: ari, bill, chao, dalves, dave, idc, karenv, whc
(the idc account is for instructional services)

ds_dig_users: alan5, ben5, bob5, chris5, craig5, craigl5, el5, evan5,
iain5, james5, jasond5, jeff5, jenn5, jennf5, kristin5,
mark5, matt5, melissa5, mike5, mikes5, nathand5, peg5,
stanley5, stef5, suli5, tom5

The CPUs used by your group currently include:

Host backup groups/users allowed fiber
---- ------ -------------------- -----
amazon silo ds_users, ds_dig_users x
blackbird NA
cici silo ds_users, ds_dig_users x
global silo ds_users, ds_dig_users x
igapo Global ds_users, ds_dig_users x
japura silo ds_users, ds_dig_users x
madeira Global ds_users, mike5 x
pyramid silo ds_users
tapajos Global ds_users, mike5 x
trombetas silo ds_users, ds_dig_users
wintermute ds_users
xingu silo ds_users, ds_dig_users

Based upon recent mail messages from evan, and other messages from you in
the past, these accounts need more access than the other students:

kristin, mike, evan, jeff, and stef

I will request that these people have access added to pyramid from Nancy.
Other than that let me know if you'd like any other changes made (they
currently don't have access to madeira, pyramid, tapajos, and wintermute).

The tape drive on global is used to backup hosts, verify the off site backup
tapes, and miscellaneous tasks like exchanging data or making quick archives.
I will add igapo, madeira, tapajos, and wintermute to SILOs backup schedule
today. The backups to silo have been going extremely well, and this will
remove your dependency on global's tape drive for system backups.

A high density 8mm tape drive on amazon would be nice, but unless there is
a specific need, I'd recommend having csrc replace the drive on global and
using it. Especially since you have another 8mm drive on tapajos.

Let me know if you have any questions.

pfm