Re: Austro-Hungarian Air Power

Bill Shatzer (aw177@freenet.carleton.ca)
Sun, 12 Mar 1995 01:36:32 -0500

>Bob K. writes:
>

>snip....
>
>> I wanted to bring to the groups'
>>attention two marvelous books I've recently obtained: Austro-Hungarian Army
>>Aircraft of World War One by Peter Grosz, George Haddow and Peter Schiener and
>>Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918 by Dr. Martin O'Connor.
>>These are 2 huge TOMES which I believe touch on a little known theater of the
>>"Great War".

-snip-

> What I really wanted to say, was who are the publishers of these books you
>mentioned and how pricy is pricy?

"Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918" and "Austro-Hungarian
Army Aircraft of World War One" are both published by Flying Machines Press
Mountain View, CA 94040. I got mine on a pre-publication deal last year
and paid just over $130 for the pair - about $50 for "Air Aces" and about
$80 for "Army Aircraft" if I remember correctly. Are they worth it? Well,
my wife doesn't think so but they are *magnificent* volumes.

Incidently, does anyone know the correct pronunciation for Austro-Hungarian
fighter ace Frank Linke-Crawford's name? I've always assumed that "Frank"
and "Crawford" have their usual English pronunciation - correct? How 'bout
"Linke"? Is it "link" or "link-ah" or "linky" or what?

Cheers, Bill

--
Bill Shatzer - bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov - aw177@FreeNet.Carleton.ca

"It's useless to fight the forms.  You've got to kill the people
producing them."  Vladimir Kabaidze