Re: Bristol Fighter fabric lacing

SDW@qld.mim.com.au
25 Apr 95 09:14:00 EDT

Hi Steve,

I've used pencil often over the years. I frequently use watercolour pencils
for subtle shading and highlights, though (since they are water soluble) I
always have to use a non water based varnish to protect them. Until
coated, if I botch it I can wipe it off with a damp cloth.

I hadn't considered using pencil for lacing, partly because of the necessity
to keep on sharpening, and partly because I doubt the capacity of my shaking
hands to keep things regular and even (don't want 20 laces per inch to port
and 30 to starboard)

On the other hand, I've often used them to represent stitched joins in
fabric (actually usually I pencil it in then erase slightly for a more
subtle effect) where I can use a ruler to keep things steady.

Also works very well on (hack, spit) jets. Yes I build one sometimes to
remind myself how much more interesting WW1 projects are.

Etched lacing ! Whatever next. I've never seen it but it sounds like a
nightmare - "please glue this tiny strand of barbed wire in a straight line
without getting glued to your work Mr Weier" :-0

I don't see Toms stuff over here. I can get it from a mail order dealer in
Victoria (1200 miles away)
IF he has it in stock. I wouldn't mind hearing from the group what they
think of Toms Modelworks PE sheets, which sheets are most worth the hassle
of getting and why.

Biggest problem in not seeing the PE sheets is in having no idea what you'll
get - "WW1 German details" could be anything. Do they have a catalogue with
a description?

See you again on the net

Shane