rocks and models

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Wed, 17 May 1995 13:29:02 +0000

What an interesting coincidence, I am a geologist as well with a thing
for aircraft models that runs far longer than my interest in rocks.

Perhaps you mean that these old WWI kits were made by Aurora.
Monogram does or has owned the Aurora molds and only released three of the
WWI aircraft kits, the Se.5a, Sopwith Camel and Fokker D-VII. These kits
are not too much cleaned up from when you first encountered them.
Certainly with the renewed interest in these aircraft, much more
information is available now than was easily found when they were first
manufactured.

Other kits in that series not listed in your note:

Albatros C-III, Fokker D-VIII/E-V, Breguet 14, Halberstadt Cl-IV,
DeHaviland D.H. 10 &D.H. 4

Some of these old Aurora kits are scheduled to be reissued this year
by Glenco models, including the SPAD, perhaps one of the more sought after
rare kits. Legend has it that many of these molds were destroyed in a
train accident during transport from Aurora to Monogram back in the 1970's.
Supposedly this is why only three of these kits were issued by Monogram.
As far as I know this is only legend. It will be interesting to see how
these re-issues compare with the original items in terms of how much the
molds were cleaned up or modified.

Charles Hart
hartc@spot.colorado.edu