Re: Jasta 2, revisited...

Joseph R. Boeke (jrboeke@laraby.tiac.net)
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 10:11:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Matt Bittner wrote:

> The Blue Rider decal sheet has decals, and color info for the
> following four pilots:
>
> (A) Ltn. Paul Baumer
> (B) Ltn. Carl Boile (? fax isn't too clear)
> (C) Ltn. Carl Boile "
> (D) Ltn. Friedrich Kempf

Matt,

Thanks! I was able to find the Squadron Dr.1 book at a local shop last
night. It has color plates of Baeumer & Kempf's machines and another
unidentified Dr.1 from Jasta 2 (black/white/yellow stripes aft of the
cockpit).

As you mentioned, this is the book with the Blue fuselaged Dr.1 for v.
Raben's machine. There is one poor quality photo of his Dr.1 after it
was shot down in the book (the print that I have is similar, but I think
it is a better shot -- could have been the printing).

At any rate, the forward fuselage is VERY dark. However, the upper wing
is visible (if a little over exposed), I can clearly see the balkenkruze,
outlined in white. The fabric surrounding the white of the cross is
considerably lighter than the black of the cross.

I would make the assumption that the top wing is not red (if red is
tonally darker than black in B&W photos). But, maybe it was faded? Any
thoughts comments or short speches?

Also, Do you (or anyone) know if the Windsock Datafile on the Dr.1 is
still in print?

Regards,

- Joe
jrboeke@max.tiac.net