WWI Aviation List (was: (Fwd) Re: WWI memoribillia?)

Boeke Joseph R (boeke@coral.bucknell.edu)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:25:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Matt Bittner wrote:

> So, do people here think there is a need for a separate list? I
> would say no, just because we discuss those things here. However,
> before I gave a reply, I wanted to ask everyone here.

I too am a member of both lists, and while I am sure such a list would be
used, I don't think there is a need for a seperate list on WWI aviation.

My reasoning is thus, The WWI list has a good mix of historical
discussion (a couple months of ago when we discussed Jasta Raben, et.
al.) as well the hobby information. We mainly discuss aviation topics,
and so far, no one has objected to the content of the list (I would like
to see more discussion of naval topics, but that isn't a complaint).

The WWI-L list is mainly historical in content (and a bit more scholarly
in nature), which is good. The discussions there run the gamut of WWI
history (aviation, naval, weapons, causes, results, etc...) which drives
my intellectual fire and fuels my hobby activities with ideas.

Another list wouldn't necessarilly preclude information "transfer". For
instance, because of Matt (and indirectly the WWI-L list) , I am now
contemplating my first armor project -- I have never modeled an armor
subject, and if the topic of this group was solely WWI aviation, I
probably wouldn't be thinking about it.

Also, one of the things that fasinates me about the Great War, was the
interaction of military technology and theory (how tanks airplanes,
machine guns and gas changed the nature of warfare). As well as the
political science aspects of the Bismarck's ballance of power system.

Between the two existing lists, I think things are well covered.

Just my two cents, for what its worth...

- Joe
boeke@bucknell.edu