Re: Introduction-Greg Springer

Matt Bittner (meba@cso.com)
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:21:21 -0500

On 27 Aug 95 at 14:42, Greg Springer muttered:

> Greetings
> I have recently subscribed to the WWI mailing list.
> I am a longtime modeler (38 of my 46 years). My first kit was the Aurora 'D-3'.

Welcome! So glad you're here, as you'll find plenty of people
modeling in that "off" scale of 1/48th! :-) Seriously, though, it
doesn't matter what scale, just that you model WW1, and WW1 only! :-)
Gads, when will I get serious?

> This formative experience led me to fixate on 1/48 scale. My preference is for
> subjects with bold markings. I have a library of over 700 titles, plus
> periodicals and I am interested in putting it on a database. I would appreciate
> hearing from anyone with suggestions on how to accomplish this. I have Windows
> Access. My guilty secret is that I also build WWII subjects.

Well, I found the first problem. You're using Windows Access. <Gag,
hack.> It really doesn't matter what database you're using (unless
you're a client/server developer - but that's another story), just so
it's relational. Unfortunately, I started out with dBase, so I
started in an un-relational envirnoment. Luckily, I've found with
the right aftermarket tool (Delphi, to be precise) you can make an
un-relational database "behave" relationaly - unlike behaving
rationaly...

I've structured it with three tables: One for publications, one for
"manufactureres" of WW1 equipment (Albatros, for example), and the
main table which contains issue of publication, type of WW1 equipment
(D.III, in our Albatros example), pages and descriptions of
articles/pictures/what-have-you. I modeled it this way (and what
other way is there, since this is a "modelers" list:-)) so - in a
graphical environment - one can choose from a list of publications
or manufacturers. So, in a "list box" I made, a "user" can pick from
a list of publications, and in the main data "grid" below it, see
what articles are there for that publication.

Yes, there are probably other ways to do it. Depending on how many
"developers" you talk to, you will get that many different solutions.

I like Jon Rettinger's table layout. He seems to have covered all
bases. However, I would (myself) put in the two other tables
mentioned above, just to make it a bit more relational. Yes, it
could take up more space "hard disk wise", but hard disk space is
cheap. Using a more relational approach, one can structure database
queries a bit more specific, and also make the queries a bit easier
to select.

Anyway, sorry to rant on. In all truth - with all puns aside -
Access is a good start for the money, and great if you don't plan on
getting large with database's and relations. It's perfect for these
"small scale" database applications. Good luck.

Matt