Re: Eduard Siemens-Schuckert question.

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:41:44 +0000

on 21 August Bill Shatzer-bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov wrote:

I noticed that Eduard shows the
>lozenge fabric on the lower wing being installed span-wise rather
>than chord-wise or diagonally.
>
>I had always assumed that this was a 'no-no' and that for strength
>purposes, fabric 'always' had to be installed chord-wise or diagonally
>on at least the large surfaces such as wings. Unfortunately, none
>of my limited supply of SS DIII photos is clear enough to determine
>which way the fabric is running on the lower wing.

There is photographic evidence from several aircraft types showing all
three modes of lozenge fabric application: chordwise (most frequent),
diagonal (less frequent) and spanwise (seems rare to me). My recollection
is that SSW machines have their fabric applied chordwise.

I haven't yet seen the Eduard kit and its decals in detail. One thing
I have noticed from looking at a lot of photographs is that the use of
4-Color Lozenge was limited almost exclusively to Fokker built aircraft
(D-VIIs & D-VIII/E-Vs). As far as I can see all other manufacturers used
the 5-Color fabric, including Siemens-Schuckert Werke. Thus Albatros built
Fokkers are covered with 5-Color lozenge.

>Also, Eduard shows the lower aileron fabric as being
>continuous (i.e. 'the lozenges line up') with the wing fabric.
>Again, I'd always understood that the ailerons were covered separately
>from the wing itself and that continuity of the lozenge design
>between the wing and the aileron should *not* occur (except once in
>a while by chance).

This is certainly the case, ailerons and other control surfaces were
covered separately and having the fabric pattern on this surface match up
with the wing or fin was completely fortuitous.

The lozenge fabrics were printed as long lengths "bolts" of fabric on
a machine with some sort of roller printing system. The bolt width of both
4 and 5 color lozenge is on the order of about 54 inches. (Need to check at
home for the exact figure). Unfortunately, we know less about the 4-color
pattern than the five color, the former seems to be more rare in various
fabric collections. The 5-Color pattern is well know, a well executed
diagram of this pattern exists in the Smithsonian Albatros D-Va book. In
addition, research in Germany a few years ago led to the printing of
replica 5-Color Lozenge pattern on linen for use on the restoration of the
Halberstadt Cl-IV aircraft by the Museum fur Verkehr und Technik or MVT.
It is quite accurate and when placed next to original material they are
virtually identical.

As an aside, the Naval Hexagon camouflage fabric was also printed in
the same way. We know this from surviving fabric. However the exact bolt
width of this pattern is uncertain but probably the same as other Lozenge
fabrics.

O.K. it was more than the original question wanted to know, I hope
everyone found the background useful.

Charles

hartc@spot.colorado.edu