Re: Fokker D VII data needed

Jon (jon@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 07 Sep 1995 02:00:26 GMT

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 14:16:33 -0700 (PDT), Jesse wrote:

> Thanks! I have no reference materials except the decal sheet, so
>your insights are extremely welcome 8^)

Jesse,

I found a photo of one of Kurt's D.VII's in Windsock's Fabric
Special , "Von Richthofen's Flying Circus" by Greg VanWyngarden.

It shows the plane alone - no pilot.

According to the text it was an early production craft. The fuselage
is painted in the streaky dark olive scheme with the four color
lozenge pattern on the wings. The rudder and vertical fin appears to
be all white, while the horizontal tail plane has two wide bars
running from the front of the tailplane to the end of the elevators.

There is a shield shaped emblem on the starboard side of the
fuselage. The text describes it as a black cross on a white shield
being that of the crest of Kraut's home town, the city of Thorn. It is
difficult to tell, but the wheels and nose may be painted black as you
problably know was the unit colors of Jasta 4.

Hope this helps.

Jon

* AVIATION ENTHUSIASTS ARE JUST PLANE CRAZY!!! *