Re: Western Front Rhinebeck

Don Rinker (drinker@fast.net)
Tue, 19 Sep 95 22:44 EDT

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, "Guy Fawcett (403) 435-7214"
<gfawcett@am.nofc.forestry.ca> wrote:
> I think that the idea for a western North America equivalent to Rhinebeck
>would be a blast, although finding the right kind of field would be the
biggest
>problem.

For many years, there WAS an all WW1 contest on the West Coast. It was call
"The Western Front Jamboree" or something like that. Just sort of seemed to
disappear. Got excellent coverage in the magazines back in the late 70's.

> One other thing that wasn't mentioned is that the Scale Masters provides a
>bias towards WWII and Jets by holding their events on paved strips (I flew my
>Bristol F2B in 91 at Vegas and only got one really nice landing in).

Way back when ( 1980-85 ) when I was seriously into R/C scale I competed with
several WW1 ships which would always score well at Rhinebeck, where judging
was ALWAYS done at ful AMA scale, not Standoff. At the local contests the
judges were woefully ignorant of WW1 types, both the static judges and the
flight judges.

I finally gave in, built a Focke-Wulf 190 D-9 and campaigned that for several
years, winning an invitation to the US Scale Masters twice. The only problem
tehn was that it was ALWAYS on the California coast and I hadn't the funds or
time to participate.

Right now JETS are the hot topic, like it or not. WW1 scale does do VERY well
in FAI competition, where the judges aree more knowledgeable, and the well
designed WW1 type craft with light weight and good power to weight ratios
fly nice and slow, making the overweight heavy metal warbirds look either
sloppy in the manuvers, or like F-16s on a scramble.

Silver Hill Historic Aviation Ltd. | Research - Documentation
4051 Ivy Lane | Photography - Paints
Easton, Pa. 18045 | Antique Instrumentation