Re: Albatros D-III colors

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:37:57 +0000

on 9 October Don Rinker wrote:

>Yet another suspect generalization.
>
>Numerous D-III were prestained in various degrees of a rather red-mahogany
>looking color. The amount of filler and the type of varnish changed many
>"natural" D_III from looking like clear finished plywood to something like
>the fatty yellow look of a SPAD.

This raises a curious point, how do we know that the wood of German,
or any other combatants a/c was "stained" versus color introduced by
varnish?? It would make sense that different manufacturers using varnishes
from several different sources will obtain finishes on wood of distinctly
different colors.

In the case of German a/c, as the war continued and the quality of
manufacturing materials declined, changes in varnish quality might be
reflected in colors it produced on wood.

Charles

hartc@spot.colorado.edu