Albatros D-III colors

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 12:28:02 +0000

on 8 October Mark Rook wrote:

>- Which brings me to my question. As an experiment (i.e., I'm <<not>> going
>to enter this in competition, even if it does turn out to look good), I'm
>thinking of doing an inexpensive DIII kit up in Turkish markings. So my
>question is - what would a DIII, circa mid-1917, look like, fresh from the
>factory? Lozenge or no lozenge? Light blue under-surfaces or clear doped?
>You get the idea. Any suggestions (other than sniping from you 1/72-er's out
>there) will be greatly appreciated.

As far as my recollection goes, no book in front of me, all Albatros
D-IIIs had painted camouflage of mauve and green on upper surfaces and
light blue on under surfaces. This also goes for early models of the D-V
and D-Va. Mid-1917 marks the introduction of the printed lozenge fabrics.

Charles

hartc@spot.colorado.edu