Re: Surviving WW I Pilots ?

mark (lothar@ncw.net)
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 17:28:32 -0700

>Doug Falder recently wrote:
>
>BTW, my grandmothers 2nd husband is alive and fairly well (ie, on no
>pills what so ever) at age 98. He was in the Royal Lancashire
>Regiment ( or something like that), was wounded, recovered and back
>to the trenches to get gassed with chlorine. He is not the least bit
>senile and can recall his time in the trenches fairly well.
>
>Doug Faulder
>
>Doug - Like someone else suggested the other day, sounds like a good oral
history project to be done! I'd be interested to know what, if anything, he
may recall of any aerial activity he might have seen from the trenches. And
though this may be slightly off the subject of aviation - your reply
reminded me of my wifes great-grandfather, who served on a US Navy destroyer
escorting convoys across the North Atlantic in 1917 and '18. He was part of
a gun crew, and on more than one occasion he and his shipmates exchanged
fire with U boats, and sank at least one that he knows of. Although 96 and
living in a nursing home in Denver, his memory is quite good, and he still
plays a mean harmonica! His own military lineage is notable as well - his
father was actually a Bengal Lancer who fought Pathans on the Khyber Pass,
then moved to Quebec after leaving the Army. The family later moved to New
York, which explains why "Mac" ended up in the USN instead of the Royal
Navy. It would be interesting to see what, if any, familial connections that
others on the mailing list have with the Great War.
Regards.....
Mark
lothar@ncw.net